Pneumatic Actuation Systems (PAS), or Stored Gas Systems, are used to remotely release sealed reservoirs of compressed gasses. Gasses can be released into manifolds for distribution or vented directly into a volume for inflation/pressurization.
For many applications, CAD’s Pneumatic Actuation Systems can be built around standard available off-the-shelf bottles. For special applications, CAD partners with firms who specialize in the design, manufacture and test of custom pressure vessels.
As with our other pyrotechnically powered devices, a small amount of electrical energy can liberate a large amount of chemical energy and translate this into a large amount of mechanical work.
- On-Command release of pressurized gasses for pneumatic actuation of mechanical systems or inflation/pressurization of sealed volumes.
- Pneumatic actuation systems used in place of hydraulic systems on weight sensitive applications.
- Inflation of floatation devices for rescue/lifesaving applications.
- Inflation of positive buoyancy bladders for marine sensors/sonobuoys.
- Displacement of fluids in underwater/downhole tools.
- Air bag deployment.
- Gasses include Carbon Dioxide, Helium, Argon, Nitrogen and Oxygen.
- Pressures to 10,000 PSI (gas dependant).
- Bottle volumes are limited only by customer’s application envelope.
- Operating Temperatures (gas dependant) of -65° F. to 420° F. (-54° C. to 215° C.)